a-Thuri is a neighbourhood of the village of Silwan where 20,000 residents live. The neighbourhood suffers from the negligence of the Occupation Municipality in many aspects of life, such as education, infrastructure, land confiscations, and house demolitions. In 2011, a group of activists in the neighbourhood gathered to take on the responsibility of planning the area and representing the neighbourhood. In 2013, al-Thory Family Centre obtained the required permits to begin working as an official organisation.
The Centre works to raise awareness on residency rights among the community members and represent the community needs on a participatory basis.
A-Thuri is a vibrant, safe, and professionally planned neighbourhood with well-functioning infrastructure, education, health, and public facilities. al-Thory also seeks to significantly contribute to the political, social, economic, and cultural life in Jerusalem by the year 2030.
Al-Thory Family Centre works with its partners to create a plan for the neighbourhood ensuring that the occupation municipality certifies the plan, and bears the responsibility of carrying it out.
- Rehabilitating infrastructure in the community
- Improving the psychological condition of the residents through awareness-raising programmes and training.
- Improving education in the community through the construction of additional schools and kindergartens.
- Empowering the staff to raise awareness on the potential sphere for tourism on both local and global levels.
The Centre is looking for volunteers who can assist in training the youth groups. The Centre is also looking for volunteers to assist with creating a website for the organisation.
Language Skills: Arabic and English
- A location and furnishings for the Centre.
- Capacity building for the administrative staff.
- Volunteers to train the youth groups.
- A website for the organisation.
- A documentary film showing the reality of the neighbourhood and the challenges it faces.
The organisation offers education on residency rights and a platform for community members to be able to participate in community decisions.
- Mapping the neighbourhood.
- Working with partners to develop the neighbourhood plan.